In the last couple years Digital health has gained huge mindshare across the Healthcare industry. Traditional Models of care have been struggling with scaling healthcare and there has been a huge void of unmet medical needs and on demand access for patients. Digital Health has emerged as the forbearer of change and post Coivid 19, it’s clear that it has a lot of potential in changing the way healthcare works. However , the worldwide adoption of Clinical evidence based Digital health Products by Clinicians, Pharmaceuticals, Patients is still a question that remains unanswered.
In thing Blog we wanted to share the learnings from DTX West 2021 – Digital Therapeutics Summit where Healthcare leaders across Digital health, Pharmaceuticals, Clinicians came together and discussed the challenges of Digital Therapeutics across the healthcare spectrum and How Pharmaceutical-Dtx partnerships can work together to become mainstream.
The Top Challenges with Patient Care today
- Unmet Medical needs – Today Patients need to wait to book appointments and Doctors only have a 30min/1hr window with their patient and only see the patient after 3 months or 6 months. If a patient needs on demand access or Just in TIme intervention – there is no option
- Access of care – The Supply of Clinicians per patient is skewed and the rate at which chronic diseases are growing – A scalable healthcare ecosystem is the answer
- Coordination of care – Multiple healthcare systems are running in silos owing to poor healthcare digitization and weaker regulations in multiple countries.
What do Chronic Disease patients need today?
- Continuous Patient Touchpoints – Engagement is Key in driving Outcomes for Pharmaceuticals and Digital is the way forward
- On Demand Access – Just in Time interventions that are powered using Digital & Real time channels of engagement
- Platform Based – Personalized therapeutic Interventions at scale are a need today to improve health outcomes for CHronic disease patients
- Patient Voice needs to be incorporated into healthcare solutions and Healthcare providers , pharmaceuticals and Dtx companies need to be Patient centric.
What should Dtx do to move the needle with Doctors?
- DTx Companies need to work on empowering Clinicians with Patient Insights and trends to optimize Clinical Decision Support ( Not just patient raw data)
- Dtx companies need to optimize therapy with insights in long term
- Provide information to the broader care team and make workflows based on that.
- Incentivize doctors and make it easy for them to prescribe and not overwhelm them with new technologies.
How will DTx increase adoption across the Pharmaceutical industry?
- DTx needs to set standards for evidence – Dtx companies have to invest in randomized trials and compare with placebo to remove bias. Clinical trial patients vs real world patients outcomes has seen a lot of variation and Dtx companies need to be weary of that
- Dtx Companies need to go depth first for specific conditions and build strong expertise
- Worldwide, Country specific Digital Health evidence committees need to define what is a good outcome and it has to be condition specific.
- Dtx companies should be focusing on Influencing parts of other Healthcare systems as well
- DTx Point Solutions need to be integrated into healthcare ecosystem – Hospitals, Government databases,
- Dtx Companies should also work on merging Patient engagement data with significant longitudinal data for precision psychiatry
Are you looking for a Prescription Digital Therapeutic Solution ? Are you interested in driving remote patient care and engagement with a Digital Patient Support program as a companion to your Drug or Medical device. Book a Consultation with us to know How we help Pharmaceuticals and Med Devices with improved adherence and better Patient Outcomes.
Read to know more about our Clinical Publications